Sunday 16 December 2018

Volunteering Journey - Grandma Maria

This has got to be one of the few moments that I choked to fight back tears.
With thanks to The Singapore Eurasians (TSE) for the invitation in having me bring cheer to perform for the children and elderly of the less fortunate, I witnessed many life-changing emotional moments today.
I was in my Satarina costume and Grandma Maria showed immense happiness when I approached her. To my utmost surprise, she held my hands tightly, kissed them and laid her head on my shoulder which I reached out to give her a big hug. She couldn't stop smiling.

Although her voice was not really audible, I managed to make out some of the words as she commented about her liking of my costume.
At one part during a game segment in progress, she turned to me. "I'm happy.. I'm happy. I'm very happy", she said, beaming. I felt tears welling up in my eyes as I shared the moment of joy with her.
Before I changed out of my costume, I decided to see her one more time before I called it a day. She smiled as she saw me walking into the room and held my hands again.

We shared a little chat session and she told me how the gold ring on her finger was given to her by a friend. She was such a lovely lady who found joy in everything.

"I'm so full. So full," she suddenly said.
I looked at her stomach and patted it. "Hey! You can be Santa Claus now!" 

She exploded into laughter.

Granted that she might not have a positive family history, but yet she appeared to be one of the most cheerful people I've ever met. 
It was soon time for me to go.
"I want to give you a hug", I said softly. I stood up and wrapped my hands around her. She gave a joyous laugh and returned me with a huge hug and thumbs up. 
"Come and see me Maria always ok? Come and see me...." She patted my hands and gave a hearty laugh. I felt a sting in my eyes and tears welled up. I nodded.
"Good bye", I said. "Please take care and I will see you soon, ok?" 
Grandma Maria nodded and smiled. I stood up and left the room, overwhelmed with emotions.

Sometimes, happiness can be achievable with such simplicity of life. 
I was glad I managed to take many precious photos and videos (but due to protection of their privacy and confidentiality purposes, I will not be posting them online.) 
One thing for sure, they are precious memories to keep and remember by. Grandma Maria, may God bless you always and I'll definitely hope to see you again soon. 


5 comments:

  1. If you're trying to burn fat then you have to get on this brand new custom keto meal plan.

    To create this keto diet service, certified nutritionists, personal trainers, and cooks have joined together to develop keto meal plans that are useful, convenient, economically-efficient, and delicious.

    From their launch in January 2019, thousands of clients have already remodeled their figure and health with the benefits a proper keto meal plan can offer.

    Speaking of benefits; in this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-certified ones offered by the keto meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3d Product Design Company |quickgunz |3d Product Design Services
    Quickgunz Pvt Ltd Best 3D Product Design company which develops new 3d Product Design that show Our Experience & smart work.oUr 3D Product design Services For any kind of commercial & Residential Product.For Design 3D Product design in Pocket Friendly visit us on our website.
    3d Product Design Company
    3d Product Design Services

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic blog! Engaging narrative on Grandma Maria's volunteering journey in Singapore. 🌟 Heartwarming and insightful read! 💖

    android app development company in noida

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a heartwarming journey! Loved reading about Grandma Maria's volunteering efforts in Singapore.

    stand for planters

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartwarming journey! 🌟 Loved reading about Grandma Maria's volunteering in Singapore. Beautiful blog, truly inspiring.

    Best psychologist in india

    ReplyDelete